Monday, October 30, 2006

Aids patients

So I started a new job at an office that sees a lot of aids patients.
I am trying hard to remember all the things we learned about aids but I don't think it was much. I even looked it up in ou r dental hygiene book and there is not much there about aids.

My dentist has told me that it is very hard to get aids that it takes 250 inoculations and that as soon as the aids virus hits oxygen it immediately dies. He also said that if he had a bucket of the aids virus he would spread it all over his arm and it wouldn't bother him one bit. I definitely thought that was pretty strange.

Can you get HIV from inhaling aerosols? I wasn't sure and my patient needed scrp so I used the ultrasonic.

Should I double glove? Should I wear a face sheild over my mask and loupes?

I leave my lab jacket and scrubs at the office to be laundered there and I change into them when I get there and then leave them there at night.

Do people with aids heal less fast, like their tissues? Can they have healthy gum tissue?

Do they always have karposis sarcoma on the palate?

Is there anything that I need to ask them on their health history that would have any effect on treatment?

I am going to do some research on aids but I wanted everyone elses opinion also.


I have looked up the CDC website and some info from the adha and ada websites and they say that universal precautions are pretty much their only suggestions on how to be protected.
Also on the ada website it says that taking extra precautions like double gloving, etc. could be considered as discrimination. I don't know what to think about that.
It also says that HIV is not considered a disease but it is considered a disability so people don't even have to mention it on their HHX and since it is considered a disability, they are protected under the disability act from any type of discrimination, so if a pt. thinks they are being discriminated they can take the dentist/ hygienist to court and win.


If you guys have anything to add I would really appreciate it!!
Thanks you guys!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann said...

Natalie,
I think that aids is transmitted through body fluids. I do not think it can be inhaled. You have and open sore or exchanging body fluids to get aids. Also you should check out this link because it says transmission is low if hiv comes in contact with your nose, eyes etc. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm I hope this helps. I really think you will be alright and doing society a great service by treating these people!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home