Thursday, October 06, 2005

Journal # 9 and #10

So, The Va was a great experience. I always look forward to all the unusual people that I meet and the many quirky things that they do and say. One of my patients was talking about crystal meth and smoking marijuana and I wasn't quite sure what to say to him.
I guess I just don't know how forthcoming I should be when patients are opening up so much. I would not like to offend them or make them feel stupid. I think in class or clinic we need to go over what you say to a patient that brings up illegal drug use and the appropriate way to inform them of the consequences of such drug use. I also think that I need a refresher course on the affects of drugs on the oral cavity along with the entire body. Probably just general affects nothing detailed but in order for me to best help my patient I need to understand the affects and a good way to discuss it with them and a good way to bring up the subject if it is mentioned on the health history.

Also, another patient of mine was performing stupid human tricks with his back for my entertainment. It was very entertaining!!!







My experience at the WSU clinic was awful today, I had two patients scheduled and both patients had high blood pressure like not just a little high but like "Im having a stroke" high. So of course I am trying my hardest to find other patients to come in. I am even stalking one girl who is waiting for the weber state shuttle. I think I talked to her like a billion times to try to convince her to get her teeth clean because the dentist at WSU had wanted her to have one more before she was treated by him. But, she wouldn't come. So my attempts to get a morning patient failed but I did find someone for the afternoon but when he showed up he was one anticoagulant medications and had very high and consistently high blood pressure, his physician is out of the office until monday so basically I was kind of out of luck!!! As I was reviewing his record and his past blood pressure readings I noticed that he was consistantly having high readings but that he was still treated and there was no documentation of a physician consult. He was very upset. None of my patients really understood why we monitor their blood pressure and that high BP can be a sign for other underlying dieseases that can be life- threatening.
It was a crappy day but a good leaning experience that hopefully will not be repeated!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kami said...

Your VA comments were a riot. I am going to pass your advice along to Professor Gall, I think we should talk about the awkward health history moments that we have faced. Too bad about your Weber day, it sounds like you tried to make the best of it.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home