Saturday, September 10, 2005

Clinic Journal 2

Today was the first day we had patients and I had a family member come in for my morning appointment. I was glad for this because for me I am more relaxed with family members. It is good to get started with someone who can give you feedback from the patients perspective and who will give you encouragment on the first day.
Today also, was the first day that I had to scramble to get a patient for my afternoon appointment. I was so desperate I asked Professor Hanson to be my patient and she was so awesome, that she volunteered immediately. That is a dedicated Professor. But unfortunatley there was a walk in to the dental Hygiene clinic and I worked on that patient instead but it was a good situation because the patient also wanted his wife to come in so it gave another student in clinic that day whose patient had to go home, a patient to work on.

I have had a wonderful experience at the VA. I think that I am going to love working on the patients there and getting that experience.

In my blog I am going to keep track of all the advice on my scaling technique and probing technique and all other technique advice that I receive from my instructors so here I go.

  • Scale toward the face, toward the tooth
  • Always here "the sound" when scaling
  • Use extra oral fulcrums, chin included
  • Watch the angle of my probe. It does not have to go as deep as I am putting it.
  • Always have control of my instrument

1 Comments:

Blogger Kami said...

Very nice entry, especially the dedicated professor part, ha ha. I am glad to see that you have noted some of the instrumentation skills that you will be working on. Very impressive. I will visit often to check on your progress.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home